Bollywood Menz Salon
Gabriel and Peter were two regulars at the Bollywood Menz Salon owned by Jafar and Junaid. They were two competitive business partners in the posters and billboards industry. Jafar and Junaid were brothers, two sons of a dead couple who had once fled Karachi over a murmur that Hindustan was going to be democratic and secular. Destiny wanted it this way or was it God’s plan, they inherited this shop from their parents and called it Bollywood Menz Salon. They were cinema crazy! Classics, blockbusters, lyrical masterpieces, posters… They were fanatics of movies and movie stars. They met Gabriel and Peter when they were looking for top quality graphic decoration for their barbershop. The collectibles they found and the posters they were able to put up in their shop really made the salon look ever bit worthy of its name. From the walls to the windows their barbershop was a colorful delight for the eyes to cherish. Tunes of Bollywood songs always played in the stereo whenever the shop was open for customers and the music always left the visitors feeling blue.
Jafar – the careful - was sweeping the floor. It was an early Saturday morning. Glued to the TV set, Junaid was skipping through channels to keep that filmy air of the place sacred.
Gabriel and Peter were not really 'frequenters' of the
shop because, well, Peter’s hair always took a long time to grow and frankly Gabriel
was losing his hair. They entered discussing the growing intolerance in
the neighborhood. “Everyone is equal and some are more equal than others, huh?”
Peter said. Jafar looked at them like he would at any other first customers of
the day. He was hoping that it will be a pleasant day. But this argument that Gabriel and Peter were having was
something which resonated with every thinking mind these days and Jafar couldn’t help but get
drawn into it. He was a listener. Gabriel’s voice was loud, he said in reply, “Let it be,
what have you got to do? Put your flag on the staff?”
“Brother, if this isn’t the tone one takes with an
enemy then what is it?” Peter asked Jafar.
“People need enemies so that they can feel united with
those they consider their own kind”, Jafar said.
“Such unity of the people! Dear God, we might as well
be living in the United States of America” Gabriel taunted.
“No nation is ever perfect”, Jafar added.
Junaid got up finding a decent movie to watch on
channel Sahara. “Come, sit”, he told Gabriel. They moved near the counter.
Gabriel kept his mobile, glasses and wallet on the marble slab and sat down.
Junaid began with his usual hair-cutting routine.
“We are witnessing ghettoization, I’m telling you”
said Peter. “This whole world will become a ghetto, divided with labels one can
hardly even comprehend for themselves. I am feeling existential myself. Wonder
what category of people I will fit in.”
“Poor, probably”, Gabriel laughed.
“What did you say?”, Peter asked. “You called me poor?
I’m doing okay for myself. I don’t need to hear anything from you about it.” He
reached for the newspaper, sat back in the sofa in the other corner of the shop
and began to read. While Gabriel was getting his hair cut, every now and then,
Peter would marvel loudly at the occurrences from around the country mentioned in the daily, critiquing them, criticizing
them and worrying for the world. “If the liquor ban was to ever get imposed
here, I wonder how you would survive a day, Gabriel” he said mockingly. Then he went on to find something else in the paper and put Gabriel down with it somehow. Gabriel
was fuming but he never uttered a word. He just sighed. Jafar didn’t like this
banter so he intervened. “Why have you always got to pull poor Gabriel’s leg, Peter?
Brother Gabriel, did you bring those posters I asked you to?” Gabriel nodded
quietly. Junaid was almost done with him. “Here”, Peter said and produced a
roll of posters from his side. Jafar reached for them with great care and
fondness.
He stood there with the unrolled bunch of posters,
mesmerized. “I like this one the most”, he said smiling. “Which one?” Junaid
asked childishly, wrapping up Gabriel’s job. He came near Jafar and peaked at
the poster in front of him. “It’s beautiful”, he exclaimed.
It was a graphic fully burnt-out print of the Bollywood
star Shahid Kapoor. In the poster he was smiling, but there was pain in his
eyes. The duo considered the poster pure art. They were immediately gaga over it.
Junaid washed his hands and went out with it to put it up on the window by the
front door. It was surely something to be exhibited.
In the meantime, Gabriel told Peter, “You complain a
lot. Did anything happen? Everybody knows things are bad, why won’t you just
cut it out once in a while. The world is fighting based off of who is who and
you are blinded by the show they are putting up. What is this? This is worldwide
wresting? This is sport? Stop being a spectator.” Peter was the kind of man who
was always on the look out for a fight. Peter knew who his enemies were. Peter was threatened and hurt and he never let himself forget about these two things.
“Who’s in mood for some comedy? Let’s switch the
channel to something light.” He turned the channels till he found something
worth his time. Govinda was dancing in front a multi-million dollar set. Surely,
things don’t get better than this. Everybody loves to dance in Bollywood.
That was quite a weekend for Gabriel. Three of the
clients he had been talking to had said no to him, until they agreed to a contract with Peter.
That made him really sad, you know. After a couple of months passed, he came to
the barbershop alone. It was almost closing time. The lights were shining
bright and the music was yodeling as usual. Leaning against the outside wall Junaid, wearing a Burman hat, smoking a cigarette, saw Gabriel dropping by. He invited him in. The weather was cold, Gabriel kept his golf jacket on
the side. His hair looked a real mess. He was as drunk as he could be,
swinging-swaying he sat down in front of the mirror and started rubbing his palms together for warmth.
“Saala Peter”, he sniggered. “Thinks he is bigger than
me. One day he will vanish. He’ll come calling after me then.”
“You’ll be in a grave by then if you keep your
drinking going at this rate”, Jafar said. Suddenly he noticed an injury on the
side of Gabriel’s skull. Blood was dripping down the right side of his face.
All the way down to the tile on the floor. “Junaid, bring the first aid box here”, said Jafar.
“You must be wondering how it happened. I’ll tell you”,
Gabriel struggled to put his words together. “I went to Peter to tell him he
was stealing all my clients. He told me that all the connections were his own.
He took my cut from me. How could I not fight for what’s mine? I smacked his
head up.” Jafar and Junaid were shocked to hear this. Gabriel continued, “When
I was leaving the office this afternoon, a group of men attacked me and brought
me to the ground. They kicked me, swore at me foul insults. I knew only Peter could have sent
them. Hey, Junaid! Get to my hair already! I’ve got to be home. My wife is
waiting for me.” Jafar patched his head up for him and after the haircut they
let him go.
Peter and Gabriel continued to remain drinking friends
though. Month after month, for almost a couple of years now, Jafar and Junaid
had seen these two show each other down over issues related to money but they continued to be drinking friends, saluting each other pretentiously. At the
root of their falling out was money. The barbers were sure of it.
One Monday morning, Peter came to the salon without
Gabriel. At first he didn’t say a word, didn’t behave strangely. He sat down
for his cut and kept his eyes shut till the cut was nearly done. Deciding to
disturb him, Jafar – the careful – asked him “Came all by yourself today?”
“So? You’ve thought of me as Gabriel’s dog? I can’t go anywhere without him?” Jafar explained to him that that was not what he meant. Peter admitted that he had overreacted. Things settled down. “He’s been wasting my time and my money” Peter told them. A Kavita Seth song was playing in the background softly. “Mind if I use the tap real quick?” he asked Jafar. Wiping his own hands in the towel Jafar signaled him to go ahead. Muttering to himself Peter placed his fingers under the hot water running from the tap and pulled his hand back in reaction to that burning feeling. He felt almost annoyed. Jafar helped him mix cold water in the water flowing from the tap. “The day he was hungry he came to me, and asked me to buy him fruits, I paid for them, but he always looking to take advantage of my kindness. He bought more than he could eat. And what do I see three days later? A bag is hanging in the office, flies are circling around it, and the fruits have gone bad."
"I look in
and he has hardly even touched them. It pisses me off the way he keeps fondling
his pockets when he hasn’t anything in his pockets, even when I have said I am paying for
his things. What do I do? I let him be. Now I’ve had enough. Sorry, I’m
bothering you.”
“No. This is your home. You are our brother too. These
things happen” Jafar said. “Don’t mind Gabriel, I know he is foolish. Don’t let
him take control of business. He will only fail you again.” Handing Jafar the
money Peter walked out the front door. “Come again”, Jafar said.
“What did you say that to him for, huh?” Junaid asked.
“What?” Jafar looked at him plainly. “It’s business.”
People chase life. They tell you what they want not
what they should. But when you take them up on that that’s you. They are now your decisions and the consequences of those actions are yours to bear. Truth
is people are made unequal. People are different. Life’s a balancing act. To
feel like equals we enter into others lives. We spend a lifetime wanting to
feel their equal. When we fail, we curse our luck, feel burdened by an existential
angst. The trick might be to reason only as much with yourself as you wish to
find in a beautiful life. We wish to find ourselves draped with the beauty we see in the world. Through the eyes of the crowd, we see someone, but we can’t
see ourselves.
We look in the mirror, but it is not us we see. Who do
we see? We see someone we have never seen before. The world stares at us and
never once blinks. If it blinks once perhaps the world is doomed to blindness.
“I cannot preach to people about life. The way life is
lived is so damn private” Jafar admitted. “I look around, I feel grateful for
the life I have. Our parents left us this life. How can I not feel grateful for
them? I feel indebted. I know things are tough but when time is right, we will
live a peaceful life. There is no guarantee it will be beautiful, but it will be full of peace.”
“Don’t keep interfering in the lives of others, don't keep slipping poison into someone's medicine they take everyday. You
never know when you might disturb someone so much they set out to hurt you”, Junaid
said out of concern for his brother. Times were hard.
Then one day what Junaid feared took shape. Peter
had come to get a haircut and a shave. Some Malayali film dubbed in Hindi was
playing on UTV. With the coming of an Amitabh Bacchhan campaign advertisement
Gabriel entered the barbershop with a knife in his hand and tried to pierce it
through the chest of Peter. Jafar caught his hand at the right moment and the
knife fell to the side. Gabriel had to be pinned to the ground. He was resentful.
“You coward!” Peter screamed. “You tried killing me.
Sin has gotten the better of you. I thought you were my brother.” “I will
strike you down. You are my enemy.”
“He is not your enemy!” Junaid yelled innocently. He stood
shivering.
Once Gabriel’s rage was washed ashore Jafar sat him
down next to Peter and asked him like he would a child, “So what if Peter was
your enemy, hasn’t he a right to live? Don’t we all have an equal right to
live? Would you like that right withdrawn from your own life? Why were you giving it up
by forcefully taking it from this man? Forget that you have been wronged.”
No comments:
Post a Comment