FAMILIAR LINES
Excerpt: Meena did what she did because it is bad for business to have an underage in the circuit. It attracts too much attention from the police. Girl, listen to me. I have nothing to do with you. I will give you the address of the school master in my hometown and there he will know what to do with you. You will be in safe hands. You will have to trust me now, that is the only way.
ACT I
Scene 1
At a highway intersection in a region with sparse forestation the weather is chilly and grey. The silvery sky has just started to shed dark clouds. Clattering teeth can be heard as the sound echoes with the emptiness. Automobiles pass at a distance and their noise is also in the background. Occasional brightness with approaching vehicles has been the usual vision for Manoj and Bunty. These auto drivers are sitting next to a fire so that they can keep warm. The average person is known for avoiding the general ways of nature. They are in uniform and their autos stand inside a garage made of tin. As the harsh wind paces, the smoke from the fire spreads over the scene and the sound of the tin keeps hammering through.
Bunty- I couldn’t believe it myself till I heard the minister speak. I listened with my own ears. It is true… He wants to breed rats so that the city can be devastated. I think it is something about something going utterly wrong in his administration and that is why before people get a hint of his failure he wants to plague them.
Manoj- Bunty! Firstly… This sounds bizarre! Governing the world calls for organization. It is either that, or a bunch of mad people living together in a shack planning the adventure of their lives.
Bunty- You make everything sound blossoming. I wish you came to terms with how the world has changed now. It is not the old times anymore! Everything has a cost. Justice too has a cost.
They both nod in agreement.
Bunty- People lose interest in picking up the newspaper and catching up with what is going on around them.
Manoj- That is because as one gets old, they begin to forget whatever goes on with them. (Pause) Secondly, the minister is a nobleman. The villagers adore him and that is why his ideology has been a success over the years.
Bunty- Yes, he might be a favorite of the people. But is not so easy afterall, you know that. These are villagers. Unlike us they never moved on to see the speed of living. It is a race, isn’t it?
Manoj- (amused) Oh, that must be why every time you do business you take a few scratches here and there. You must be careful. You are at a tender age. I have seen how times have changed from the old to the new. That is why you must also listen to me and accept that you could drive with a little more care perhaps.
Bunty- Your lesson will go in vain, Uncle. The damage is a matter of paying for. In the worst case scenario the collateral damage will be a few lives. Indeed when one is not alive anymore there doesn’t remain in their minds such a worrying thing as care.
Manoj- You will learn the hard way.
Bunty- Times are already hard, times have always been difficult. I mean, you know about the tale of how miserable I was and what later became of me when I finally decided to accept the most out of life I had the potential to achieve. Having a sudden epiphany about one’s own mediocrity against the dreams of stardom and prosperity is by far the toughest life has thrown at me.
Manoj- Yes… Yes… The city has been rough with the lot of us. But what happened in your life is nothing I had ever come across before. How many times did the incident with the razor blade happen?
Bunty- (silently) Several.
Manoj- What a pity!
(Pause)
Bunty- There is a reason why I choose to work on the highway instead of walloping around in the city for income. People repel me. I have kept my world small. And the people here appreciate what you do for them much more. I see all these people passing by everyday shying away from me as I give them a ride. Not once has anyone ever asked me how I got those scars.
Manoj- Most of us tend to stay away from the ugly side of living a full life. It is not something you should get disheartened for.
Bunty- The gangs are on a rise too, you know. The ring leader recruits young children and breeds hate in them on standard of wealth and class. The people who did this to me were convinced their poverty persists at the cost of the luxury of the rich.
Bunty folds his sleeves and stares blankly at his forearm which bears a pattern of wounded skin.
Bunty- After they had marked my face and my neck in the dead of the night I nearly slipped through to the darkness. A gush of blood burst past my aching body. When I opened my eyes I was in a hospital ward. Some gentleman had found me with my eyes as stiff as marble and reported my fate to the hospital. They were able to save my life but I regretted being alive. (Looks at Manoj) I know regret is an unworthy sentiment, but I have known how it feels.
Manoj- (Brings Bunty back from a state of lost gaze) I couldn’t understand why you had to go on slicing yourself up afterwards.
Bunty- The ones on my face and my neck remind me of what people have done to me. But, the one on my hands remind me that what people can do to me, I can do to myself.
Manoj- (sadly) Something must really be troubling you these days. I know a man of strength when I see one. There is a heroic quality in you too despite your heroic flaws... Perhaps that is the way life is.
Stage is abruptly dark.
ACT I
Scene 2
Meena, an accessory to a sex trade on the highway brings to the stage a new addition to their network. She hurries from the right, clutching onto Roshni’s hand. Meena’s dress is more elaborate than Roshni’s. They share the same look of trauma on their faces. Age has not erased any difference in composition for the two females. Already on stage is a blind man. He is standing next to his cart on which he sells peanuts. At the intersecting link on the highway there is an active demand for both these trades. The dawn surfaces swiftly to the bustle of the winter fog and the waves of vehicles continue whizzing past every now and then.
Meena- (Hurriedly) Kishor… Kishor… Sir. Please listen to a poor lady. Kindly stop and lend your attention for a moments time.
Roshni hides completely behind her master’s robe. She peeps devilishly.
Kishor- (Worried) Is it you Meena Kumari?
Meena- Yes Kishor, it is I. I have a huge favor to ask of you.
Kishor- Lady, I am awfully troubled myself. I have lost something essential. I have lost a bag of coal without which I cannot upkeep a peanut stall.
Meena- Kind sir, it is my request you save a life.
Kishor- What can a blind man do to save a life. (Pause) Is this life innocent?
Meena- In my business innocence has no reason to defend itself. The innocence of this life has been long lost, long since violated.
Kishor- Curse be upon me for being round and about you, Meena Kumari! You are nothing but the purest trouble there is to know.
Meena- It is business. I assure you. (Drags Roshni from behind her) I have received an underage.
Kishor- My word!
Meena- Yes, you need to take her from here and get her to a safe haven. There is only a solemn burden upon me that urges me on to set this girl free. A few years of survival at the cost of torture followed by a sick death and there is nothing more that will become of this small bird. She is beautiful, has yellow eyes and a gentle manner. She will suffer. I have played a trick on Reshma and helped her escape till here. It is now on you to free her.
Kishor- I promise I will take her from here.
Meena- Oh Thank you, thank you… You must hurry…
Kishor- But I have one condition. You will help me look for my bag of coal. I had only bought it yesterday. I brought it with me from my home when I came on my cart. It possibly couldn’t have flown off because of the wind. I could’ve heard it fall if it had. I have a sharp sense of ear because I don’t have eyesight, you see. I set my shop up a couple of minutes ago and then I had gone to the cornerstone to fill my water bottle from the hand pump. When I came back to the cart to start a fire in the pot to heat the peanuts I couldn’t find my bag of coal. Do you know how valuable that much coal was?
Meena- I’m sure it had been of value. I will look for it thoroughly but on one condition. You will have to tell me what are you going to do about the girl and where will you send her.
Kishor- Meena, I will bring the girl to safety and to a good life. She will go to my hometown and live in the trust of the school principal there. You have my promise.
Meena- (commands) Listen girl! The blind man is going to look after you now. You belong to him now. He will send you away to a trust. You would’ve survived. Don’t let your ego ever forget what was going to become of you. Leave these ways behind and go with him.
Meena pushes Roshni in the general direction of the blind man and runs off to the right. The two are standing in silence. Kishor’s promise has been made. He tries to chase the sound of the footsteps but gives up immediately. Roshni stands next to Kishor’s cart and wildly nibbles through some peanuts without removing the outer shell. She spits out the bland delicacy in disgust.
Kishor- (sullenly) You won’t like them till they are warm and toasted. I can give you some salt to go with it but without the warmth they will really not appeal to you. Pardon me.
The girl sits on the pavement on the side of the highway. Kishor loses his calm and becomes frustrated. He paces up and down the stage as a blind man would and then starts to sob.
Kishor- Another problem on the head of the blind man! Will anybody help! Is there anybody there? (screams) Will somebody help me?
Roshni tries to quiet him down by pulling on his sweater but she really doesn’t know how to soothe his emotional outcry. She continuously tries to shush him and wipe his tears. Stage is dark,
ACT I
Scene 3
As light spreads on the dawning sky the audience is looking at the auto stand from such a perspective that the peanut vendor and the girl are also visible in the background. The left side of the stage is taken by Bunty and Manoj while on the far right of the stage the two damaged souls are seen collapsed on the floor. Kishor is howling in agony at his circumstances and the girl is trying to bring him to rest. She puts back all the peanuts in a white bag and pushes the cart into darkness. Bunty learns of this annoying sound and moves to see who it is. He comes back to Manoj and after consulting him regains his original position near the fire. The auto drivers are feeling a little too cold. She picks up the blind man by his hand and he stumbles on powerlessly towards them.
Kishor- Where are you taking me child! (Pause) Is that a fire? Has somebody lit a fire… Is it possible somebody has stolen my bag of coal? Who is it? Who is it?
Manoj- Hey! Hey! Hey! Girl, get this strange personality away from here. What does he want? Why is he pointing at the fire?
Kishor- You stole my bag of coal didn’t you? I had gone to fill water from the hand pump and in the mean while you stole it. Give it back to me at once!
Bunty- Listen blind man! We are no thieves. We are the honest working class. We have morality for truth’s sake. Take your business elsewhere.
Kishor- How can I?
Manoj- Why… are you not going to sell peanuts to the truckers today?
Roshni- He has lost his bag of coal. He is really sad. He thinks the two of you have stolen it.
Bunty- What makes him think that!
Kishor- The fact that you two poor bastards are sitting next to a healthy fire tells me it is you who has committed the crime.
Manoj- Run away from here, or else bad things will happen to you. I am warning you.
Kishor- (Wipes his tears) No. This won’t work. You cannot dominate a person like this. You will have to confess. Just tell me that you took coal for this fire and return the rest of the bag to me and we will forget about everything.
Bunty- Don’t you understand you fool!
Kishor- Then call the constable from his cabin. Call him here right now and we’ll find out the legal way.
Manoj- Bunty, just do as this man says. Let’s see what happens when someone accuses someone with empty words.
Bunty- I will go immediately.
Bunty leaves on the left.
Roshni is worried somebody might come looking for her. Manoj notices her anxiety. After sometime she rests by the fire with the other two.
Manoj- Who is the girl? Is she your daughter?
Kishor- What! Which girl?
Manoj- This girl who is smiles at me as I speak... I’ve never seen her with you before.
Kishor- (sounds troubled) Actually… she is my niece. Her family disowned her because she tried to run away with a boy. They killed the boy and sent the girl to me. They didn’t want her to be the village.
Manoj- That must be why she looks so traumatized. Times are hard. So you will help your blind uncle in running his business? Is that so?
Roshni- No. (pause) He is sending me to his hometown I will be living under the trust for the school principal.
Kishor- They are good people there in that village. They accept all kinds of petty thieves and orphans and widows. A few great men have worked very hard to build the goodwill of their society. She will be in good hands.
Manoj- (interrupts) By these standards even the minister of this very district had kept its people happy. They almost prayed to him. But this Bunty tells me has become corrupted and wants to plague us all. If it is true I will blame the old age.
Kishor is reluctant to entertain Manoj. He is holding on to the girl’s hand. There is a serious exchange of glances. Kishor is convinced Manoj and Bunty have wronged him. It is slowly dark.
ACT II
Scene 1
Near a police cabin on the same intersection on the highway there is a door on a wall and a window. On the left side Constable Prajapati is sleeping under a blanket on a mat on the floor. He is not in uniform. His clothes are hanging on three hooks on the door. Bunty enters from the right rubbing his hands together and blowing into them. He appears to be shivering. Light is constantly growing brighter. The crows have started cawing. Bunty knocks searches for the constable through the window and then knocks on the door.
Bunty- Constable sir? A quarrel has broken out. Constable sir?
Knocking on the door continues with more vigor.
Prajapati- Who is it goddamnit! Stop pounding on the door.
Prajapati gets up and feels the chill of winter pass through his soul. He begins to put his clothes on. The two are exchanging comments while Prajapati changes into uniform.
Prajapati- (putting his pants on) So what seems to be the problem…
Bunty- A quarrel, kind sir. Like I said.
Prajapati- Yes, but what is it?
Bunty- The blind man who sells peanuts on that side of the road is accusing Manoj and me for having stolen his bag of coal. He wouldn’t give us any rest.
Prajapati- (mumbles) I don’t know what it is with these people, their troubles arise in the strangest of hours.
Bunty- What was that sir, did you say anything?
Prajapati- (putting his shirt on) You are a part of this crime and you have walked to the police. You really must be innocent.
Bunty- We are not thieves sir.
Prajapati- (tucking his shirt in his pants) Give me a minute please, I will just be out in a minute.
Bunty recedes a few steps and begins kicking pebbles towards the audience. He is childish about it. As Prajapati opens the door Bunty regains composure. Prajapati steps out of the cabin and bounces in the air with a shrill exclamation.
Prajapati- I have forgotten to wear my shoes. Damn it.
The constable picks up his shoes and wears them. He again appears from his cabin fixing his pockets. His stick is under his arm. He swings it glamorously and starts piercing the silence of the night by banging his stick on the stage. He is ready to lead the way. But then he stops and turns to look at Bunty who is amazed.
Prajapati- So where is this blind man?
Bunty- He has come to our auto stand. He says… we stole his bag of coal and the fire we have started is the proof of it. We use the firewood from the jungle. The autumn does enough for the search for firewood to be easy around these parts of the year.
Prajapati- (cunningly) now you will remain silent. I don’t want to hear your opinions about how nature works. Take me there. Do not speak a single word till I ask you to do so or else you will persuade me in your favor.
ACT II
Scene 2
At the auto stand the light has begun showing it prominence. The crows are still cawing. The trees all around the panorama stretch skywards. They have started showing their magnificence as the sunlight gains on stage. The winter fog has reduced clear visibility but the sun trying to shine through it disperses it fairly quickly. Out of the fog, from the left emerge Prajapati and behind him, somehow telling him the way Bunty lacks. Manoj, Kishor and Roshni are placed at center stage around the small fire. The tin shed comes out of the fog once again. The clattering of teeth and the hammering of the tin has stopped but the stand looks rather deserted.
Bunty- Sir it is this man, the one standing next to that girl there.
Prajapati raises his stick to shoo away the weak looking auto driver. Bunty puts a finger on his lips and goes to hide behind Manoj. The constable maintains a distance with Manoj seeing he is almost his own age. The constable and Manoj share a white set of hair on their heads. They look to each other in detachment.
Prajapati- So this is the peanut vendor. Who is the girl? Nobody told me about a girl…
Manoj- It’s the blind man’s niece.
Prajapati- What is your name man? Speak.
Manoj- Kishor.
Prajapati- Does he not speak also? What about the girl? Are you with this man?
Kishor- (hesitantly) yes. The girl is with me.
Prajapati- Why are you quarrelling with these two Kishor? They tell me you have lost something.
Kishor- I haven’t lost anything. These two stole something which belongs to me originally.
Prajapati- A bag of coal.
Kishor- (continues) yes. Yes Indeed. A brand new bag of coal. (pause) You see that cart there? (points to the right) That is where I do business.
Prajapati goes to see the cart. Bunty and Manoj search for it from behind the constable. Manoj is trying to almost climb on Bunty’s shoulders.
Kishor- (sits downheartedly) Constable sir, I had gone to fill water in my bottle from the hand pump near the cornerstone. By the time I was back the whole bag was not there. If these evil bastards had asked me for a lump or even two I would’ve handed it to them in the name of community. But they stole the whole deal.
Prajapati comes back near the fire.
Prajapati- And what is in this bag over your shoulder, girl? What is your name?
Roshni- Sir, Roshni.
Prajapati- What is in that bag Roshni?
Roshni- Sir, peanuts.
Prajapati- Now Kishor? How will you sell peanuts without lighting the coal in the earthen pot? Nobody like stale peanuts…
Prajapati- Yes sir, it is a massive loss.
(Pause)
Prajapati- Kishor, I am looking in this fire really closely, it seems to be made of plastic and some wet firewood from the jungle.
Kishor- What! Look closer constable, the warmth suggests otherwise.
Prajapati- What are you talking about Kishor, if I look any closer I will burn my face. Even an animal knows not to hurt itself, I am human afterall.
Kishor- But it was them. Afterall the girl took me to them. And when I sensed the fire I thought she got me here because there was a fire. (turns to the girl with rage) Why did you get me here? You wretched fool! Why?
Roshni- You were losing your mind in agony and I didn’t know what to do. I saw these two sitting here around the fire so I came here for assistance. But as soon as we were here you again started behaving abruptly.
Manoj is looking at Bunty who is still hiding behind him.
Manoj- What happened to you? Did you see a banshee.
Bunty doesn’t say anything. He points at the constable and puts a finger on his lips again. Manoj is confused. He moves nearer to the constable.
Prajapati- Break up this quarrel and go your separate ways the lot of you. Kishor, the fire these two have made seems new but it is impure, it is not made of any coal whatsoever. I request you with my hands joined that you go back and look for your belonging elsewhere. Break it up now, please.
Kishor- No sir, I will do no such thing. I am convinced these two have wronged me and I want compensation. I want to lodge a complaint.
Manoj- Hadn’t I told you already constable sir, the blind man has lost his mind. Now he wants to lodge a complaint. (mocks the blind man and the girl) do you even know how difficult it is to get things done by the law. Let us be good citizens and make amends. Let us compromise and seek a middle path.
Bunty pulls Manoj by his sleeve and warns him with his eyes. His finger points at the ground significantly. Prajapati has lost interest in solving the quarrel. He is observing the busy highway with provoking intent.
Kishor- What is this middle path you talk of? Girl? Ask him what can be done in such and such a situation. The sooner we find a resolve to this fix the sooner you I can fulfill my promise and send you to the school principal in my hometown. Please, ask him.
Prajapati has wandered far away from the scene of action in search of a bribe. He is attempting to stop truckers that are passing in hope of laying hands on one that is driving with a permit or any other minor flaw. He stops one and his face lights up with happiness. The rest of them are still quarrelling in the background around the fire. The fire runs out and the stage is dark.
When there is again light on stage Prajapati is standing with a national permit truck driver Murtaza. Murtaza is wearied, he has a red and white cloth tied around his head. His cheekbones are protruding outwards and his eyes have sunk of depression. He has a heavy beard that overlaps his long shirt. He’s standing with one of his legs on the front wheel of his truck. Prajapati is standing on the left facing him. At this side of the highway the long road stretches nearly till the periphery. The sparse forest extends on top, but on the surface it is covered with stalls and shops. People are coming in to kick start yet another day.
Prajapati- (Reads from a license) Murtaza, your paperwork seems to have expired five months ago, my friend. How are you still driving on the highway?
Murtaza- I have come from far, sir. I don’t know anything about legality. The contractor sends me on the highway and I deliver his consignments. That is all I know.
Prajapati forcefully picks Murtaza’s pocket and secures the key for his vehicle.
Prajapati- Your vehicle is no good without this key I suppose. Now you will have to come with me.
Murtaza- I cannot leave this truck here, sir. The contractor will erase me.
Prajapati- Then you stay here with your truck and I’ll come back later with my officer. He will know what to do.
Prajapati begins to walk to the right hoping with his eyes closed that Murtaza will call on him.
Murtaza- Sir, you have the key to my truck and all my paperwork. Where are you going? How can you leave me here like this. Wait a moment and I’ll drive you to your cabin. We can park the truck on the side and then talk things out. Perhaps there is something I can do for you.
Prajapati- (offended) Oh! You want to see if there is anything you can do for me… Come with me then and I’ll make a punching bag out of you. You will rot in jail, you fool. You think you can tempt a policeman?
Murtaza- (picking up hints) No sir, most certainly that is not what I mean. I was speaking in concern for the traffic. The region will get crowded because of the obstruction my vehicle will cause. Pardon me. I meant to say that perhaps there is anything I can do to satisfy your desire for happiness.
Prajapati- (plays along) Yes, happiness is the prime virtue. (Pause) perhaps not for you. How long has it been since you last took a bath?
Murtaza- I’ve been on the road for a week. I’ve visited more than a dozen warehouses.
Prajapati- They must surely know you in those warehouses… Don’t they ask you to eat with them and provide a bath so that you can look fresh? You seem suspicious, Murtaza.
Murtaza- It is winter kind sir, most of the recent pit stops I have made have been in the dead of the night. I am not a suspicious character. You can talk to my contractor. I’m sure he will be able to influence your kindness much better than I will be able to.
Prajapati- I thought you said you were a factory driver.
Murtaza- No, I work for this contractor! You can see, I have a paper that will tell you I am speaking the truth.
Prajapati- Listen, I am not interested in who you work for. It is not him who has broken the law. It is you. You’re the one driving on an expired permit.
Murtaza- But sir, it is the contractor who handles everything. Why are you not dealing with the root…
Prajapati smacks Murtaza with his stick. He falls on the ground in a shock and begs for mercy.
Prajapati- I’ll teach you the law Murtaza. Come with me to the police station. Everyone will be happy to lay their hands on someone like you. They will greet us with a loud cheer.
Murtaza- No… No…
Prajapati- Cough out all the money you have. Come on. Hurry.
Murtaza- Yes sir, it will be better if you took some things for your family. Here (takes a bundle of notes from his long shirt) take this. Return me my papers and the keys to my vehicle and I will be on my way. I will tell my friends of one Constable Prajapati wherever I go. Praise be upon you. Let me be, sir. Let me be.
Prajapati victoriously fumbles his prized possession.
From the right Bunty comes running and stands two feet away from Prajapati. Prajapati gets startled as he sees him and in reflex again raises his stick to shoo away the auto driver.
Prajapati- What is it, Bunty? Speak.
Bunty- The blind man has attacked Manoj, sir. It was quite a lot of trouble separating the two of them. The girl doesn’t want anything to do with her blind Uncle anymore. She says she is tired with his surliness.
Prajapati- Goddamnit! (turns) Murtaza! I am giving you your papers, renew them as soon as possible. But this key is still going to be with me for some time. You have come to our district so explore it on foot till I return and hand you your freedom.
Prajapati and Bunty leave on the right murmuring details of the quarrel into each other’s ears.
Prajapati- It would still quite not entirely be freedom. It would still mean slavery somewhere in between freedom and condemnation.
ACT II
Scene 3
Prajapati and Bunty arrive at the auto stand yet again only to find out that the blind man and the girl have escaped. Manoj has a black eye.
Manoj- (upholds a small stone) That imbecile threw a stone at me. It hit me right in the eye! The bastard had wanted to blind me. Praise Bunty he dodged the blind man’s aim with his hand so the stone hit me but only partially him me. Let the blind man come back! If he will still show himself to sell peanuts round these parts I will surely murder him.
Prajapati- A black eye is still no reason to lose your decency Manoj. Calm down.
Bunty- But constable sir, take a look at this black eye! We can’t have a lunatic roaming free on the streets.
Manoj- A man cable of doing this to another man is surely an unreasonable person. I don’t know what to say now.
Prajapati- Gentleman, you will have justice. We will conduct a search inquiry at the name of Kishor and we’ll hunt him down before it is too late. This kind of a criminal must be dealt with head on.
Manoj- Thank you, sir. I look forward to whatever becomes of this blind psycho.
Prajapati- I sense the girl was also not with him. There was something strange going on between the two of them. All for a bag of coal…
Manoj- I think so too constable. The girl gave up on him completely. It was as if she didn’t know her Uncle could do something like that. I was afraid for her, she looked like a descent girl.
Bunty- Had she come to help that idiot with his business?
Prajapati- Who knows?
Manoj- (puts his hand on Bunty’s shoulder and whispers to him) I will explain to you later it is quite interesting.
Prajapati- (aggressively) What are the two of you murmuring to one another there in the corner. Go now, and attend to the people. Black clouds have gathered and the people are crawling out of their dens. Scatter at once the lot of you and serve society to your best potential.
Manoj and Bunty nod in agreement. Prajapati leaves on the left. Manoj tries to light the fire with his matchbox. Bunty rests his elbows on his knees and hides his face behind the newspaper.
Slowly Murtaza enters on stage and sees that there is a fire. He requests the two gentlemen for their permission to sit with them. He looks at Manoj’s black eye and wonders what has happened with him.
Murtaza- I heard you were assaulted by a blind man?
Bunty- Yes, this is the man who was assaulted. What about you? Did you pay a bribe to the constable?
Murtaza- Yes.
Manoj- (mocks with a smirk) A real corrupted pest, the constable.
The three have nothing more to say. Slowly it starts drizzling and soon a shower begins to pour on their heads. The fire goes out immediately. All three of them run under the shed where the autos are parked. For a long time they stand together not amused a slight bit about the rain and nature.
ACT III
Scene 1
Rain has stopped and it is noon. Winter has not given any room for the sun to shine. The only development is the song of the birds with the cawing of the crows. Kishor and Roshni have strolled everywhere in search of the bag of coal. They are back near the cart and the cornerstone and the hand pump.
Kishor- What will become of my business now?
Roshni- Only if you weren’t this way you would’ve been in a better situation. But all around you there is only curse and damnation. Where can you send me for the betterment of my own fate? I don’t trust you. I don’t think there is anything you can do to rescue me.
Kishor- Then why don’t you go back to that wretched Meena? Afterall she is such an angel isn’t she?
Roshni- She helped me get out of danger, why should I count on a buffoon like you and not on a kind hearted lady as her? Give me a reason, why?
Kishor- Meena did what she did because it is bad for business to have an underage in the circuit. It attracts too much attention from the police. Girl, listen to me. I have nothing to do with you. I will give you the address of the school master in my hometown and there he will know what to do with you. You will be in safe hands. You will have to trust me now, that is the only way.
Roshni- The bus will come on the highway I suppose.
Kishor- Yes, wave at the driver and he will stop. (Hands her some loose notes) Buy a ticket from the conductor and tell him where you want to get off.
Roshni- What if I decide to do the opposite?
Kishor- Then you do whatever you want to do with your life, you have a debt against me and that is what I know. Now, go on. Accept this money and wait for the bus on the otherside of the highway. Just do me a favor.
Roshni- (blankly) What…
Kishor- (Interrupts) Get the cart from where you had moved it to and place the bag of peanuts back on it
As the girl is coming back with Kishor’s cart she enjoys pushing it towards the blind man but she suddenly notices white color in a thorny shrub. She goes to pick it out and gets stung by a thorn on her finger. She releases a slight moan to which Kishor attentively responds.
Kishor- What is it? What’s going on?
Roshni- Uncle! Your bag of coal is here in a thorny shrub.
Kishor- You have found it? (Overjoyed) Oh you delightful girl! Is there coal in the bag? Is it full?
Roshni- Yes there is coal in the bag. The bag has the mark of a dog’s teeth. I think some dog had mistaken it for food and dragged it to this shrub. As he’d been trying to get into it with his mouth he would’ve discovered coal doesn’t taste good afterall, poor doggy.
Kishor- (with enthusiasm) Bring it here, child. Bring me my bag of coal.
Roshni’s struggles to get the white bag out of the shrub but manages to get it out at last. She hands it over to the blind man.
Kishor- (suddenly enraged) But this bag is completely wet! The coal is full of dirt. I can’t use this! (pause) The combustibility is gone. It is already become a muddy sludge...
Kishor gives up completely and begins to weep silently.
Roshni leaves him be and exits on the left walking backwards not breaking eye contact with the blind man for a single moment.
ACT III
Scene 2
It is evening’s end and night has started to rise. Silence has once again grown in the region. Murtaza is sleeping on a mat underneath his truck. Prajapati is hunching down next to him. He pulls on the blanket and gets up. The trees have withdrawn into darkness and fog.
Prajapati- Murtaza, wake up. It’s time for you to go.
He kicks Murtaza with the heel of his boot. The truck driver crawls out from under his truck.
Prajapati- I was going to sleep in my cabin so I decided to give you the key to your truck so that you can be on your way.
Murtaza- Sir, I apologize for causing an obstruction to the traffic. (Scratches his head) I could’ve parked it on the side but your kindness advised against it.
Prajapati- Leave this place now. Be on your way. Make sure you renew your permit and take a bath at the next pit stop you make. Get some rest, but somewhere else. Now, burn those tires on the gravel and be gone.
Murtaza takes the keys and begins climbing onto his truck. Prajapati is standing on the ground. Both of them are unaware of Kishor who has sneaked out on the road at some considerable distance. The blind man has blended with the darkness on the far right of the stage. As Murtaza puts the pedal to the metal while waving farewell to Constable Prajapati he runs over the blond man bringing an end to this play. Blood retraces the pattern on the gravel and soon covers the painted lines on the highway, the familiar lines.
No comments:
Post a Comment